Installing a new program, application, or operating system logically always brings benefits because of the improvements that are implemented, but for some people these improvements may not be significant, according to how the system is used. Sometimes you lose more than you win and there are more conflicts than what is truly useful. When it comes to a complete operating system, it is worth thinking it through before deciding to install it.
The purpose of this article is to warn readers about the most significant reasons and benefits for installing Windows 8, but also about the limitations, dangers, and disadvantages. All of this mainly applies to those who use desktops or laptops.
Differences between Windows 8 and Windows 7, and other previous systems
Windows 8 is aimed for use in portable devices such as smartphones and tablets, in which previous versions of Windows were not functional.
These systems often have no mouse or physical keyboard, so they have an interface called Modern UI, which breaks with all that we were used from the early Windows is introduced.
Of course Windows 8 will also work on desktop computers, but for users accustomed to Windows 7 or XP, it can be frustrating after installation. In no case should one replace a system before becoming informed.
Advantages of installing and using Windows 8: main features
- Start up and shut down are faster than in previous operating systems.
- The most efficient operation of the system, even on computers with low hardware features.
- Support for external generation devices such as cell phones, printers, etc.
- Includes its own antivirus and anti-malware program.
- Applications available on the Microsoft Store. It is the first operating system that includes an application store. Windows 8 includes some basic applications, but there are a multitude of them available to download and install from the store, and most are free. The great advantage is that all are certified by Microsoft, so there should be no problem or incompatibility. We do not have to worry about any programs containing malware.
- Sync with the cloud. For the growing number of people using the services of network storage to store files such as images, documents, video, or music native sync is now possible without having to use any external application.
- Integration with social networks. One of the most attractive features is that it allows you to receive notifications automatically and participate in networks like Facebook, Twitter, and others.
- Support for touch screen, an extra functionality of the system.
Disadvantages and limitations of Windows 8
- Many of our systems will not have the hardware requirements to install Windows 8. To operate the Modern UI applications, the minimum resolution is 1024 × 768 pixels and 1366 × 768 pixels are necessary to display two applications at the same time. Most Laptops or Notebooks do not support vertical resolution of 768 pixels, so they are discarded. Most monitors used on desktop computers today support up to 1280 × 1024 pixels, so it can not represent two applications.
- Windows 8 requires almost constant internet connection for any task, with alert boxes that can be exasperating when working offline.
- Anyone who is accustomed to using free software in their programs and customization features that take full control over them will not have the option in Windows 8.
- Windows 7 and Vista support compatibility with applications that were made for previous systems. This is impossible in Windows 8 because of its features.
What is missing in Windows 8: user complaints
- Windows requires us to start with the new Modern UI interface, even if we want to use the classic desktop –this is the main complaint. You can always skip this limitation, but you need to download and use third party applications.
- The famous Start menu button which is used by all and has always been the heart of Windows is not available in Windows 8. For most this was the way to get to all functions.
- No visible off button.
- The clock is not displayed. It has been shown that this is a missed feature by many users.
- Everyone misses the classic ease of use of the mouse for common tasks, such as giving a click on an X to close a window, instead of now having to drag it down.
- Modern UI limitation of having only two open applications, those using large displays may have more than two.
- Unable to create ad hoc wireless networks, some use them to create a small network that connects their devices to share the internet and the computer. This limitation is crucial for some.
- The tiles or pictures on the Modern UI based interface allow only two sizes.
New features and improvements that Windows 8 introduces
Windows 8 introduces new tools and features, some of which facilitate the use of the system and others help us avoid having to install additional software.
Windows Defender –a full antivirus program
Windows 8 is the first version of Microsoft that includes a truly anti-malware application that makes it unnecessary to install an additional antivirus program.
This is a new version of Microsoft Security Essentials, which is also available to install on older systems.
Windows Defender works silently and in no way affects the performance or speed of the system. It is updated automatically without consuming resources or bandwidth.
Improvement in copying files in Windows 8
The native function to copy files has been considerably improved. In previous versions there was much to be desired.
Now more information is displayed with small integrated graphics. As you can see in the following image, the copy speed is not negligible.
View and open PDF files in Windows 8
up to now had to install programs on your computer like Adobe Reader or others to read popular PDF files.
Now is not needed, the reader includes Windows application Reader that opens them by default.
Make screenshots in Windows 8
All modern operating systems allow the Print Screen key to copy the content of what is displayed. It was necessary to paste the resulting image into an editing program. Now you can create a Windows image to make a capture that will be saved automatically.
Applications that Windows 8 includes
Windows 8 includes only some default applications, the rest must be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.
Some of these applications are really useful and we can avoid having installed programs that we used in previous versions.
We can access the features of Windows Live Hotmail (now Outlook.com ). We can also connect Hotmail accounts (Hotmail.com, Live.com and MSN), Exchange (Office 365 and Outlook.com ), Gmail, or other services.
New functionality for linking our accounts in social networks. This shows our Microsoft profile and all accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, among others. From here we can manage our business and see the latest news and announcements of all the services we have linked. We can post Facebook updates, share, give Likes, and comments. We can manage our Twitter tweets, mark as favorite, retweet or even respond.
New functionality can be used with applications for instant messaging. You can talk and chat with your social network contacts.
For now it supports Windows Live Messenger and Facebook Chat.
New feature that allows you to synchronize photos with cloud services like SkyDrive, Facebook, Flickr, etc. Displays images organized by category and gives the possibility to import new images from USB devices.
New functionality to access the weather forecast anywhere, anytime. We can configure it to show the weather automatically when accessing the Home screen without entering the application.
It offers instant synchronization with the web calendar.
New feature that allows access to Bing maps without having to use the browser as in previous versions. Maps offer two types of views: a conventional map (road) and a satellite (aerial).
Application that provides the ability to use the service cloud storage from Microsoft without having to install or download anything.
From the application we can see all of our files that are stored in the cloud, download, and upload new files. If you have Word, Excel, or other Office programs you can view and edit them directly online, without having to install the software on your computer.
Bing has 4 different applications: sports, news, finance and travel. Each offers updated Bing in these topics.
Shows famous views of different parts of the world in the Desktop icon. Upon entering the application it provides details of each one, with photos and maps, allowing us to become enriched in culture and stimulating us to a possible future trip.
Other applications for Windows 8
There are free applications available in the Microsoft store, to download and install, that are essential for the vast majority of users.
Some of them are Wikipedia, Kindle, Lyrics, Games, etc..
To improve the capacity of your computer by installing Windows 8, or any other software, please contact us. One of our professionals will come to your home and take care of the whole process of installation and configuration. If you need virus and spyware removal service, call us! We work throughout Houston, TX.