Repairing a flat screen should generally be done by a professional technician with years of experience working in consumption electronics, because it usually requires more knowledge and special tools. However, a common problem that all users can diagnose is a faulty cable, which can often cause an intermittent issue. Being able to diagnose this issue can save you money and limit your time without a monitor.
Difficulty: Moderately easy.
Things you will need
- Turn off the monitor and unplug it from its power source.
- Disconnect the HDMI or DVI cable and connect your flat screento the PC’s video output.
- Unplug the removable power source from the PC’s monitor.
- Test the clappers you will plug to the wall with the removable power source with a voltmeter to test its continuity. A voltmeter is a device that is used to measure voltage. However, all voltmeters are different, so you should read the owner’s manual for instructions on adequate functioning.
- Replace the power cable with the same type of cable. If you aren’t sure of which cable it is, contact the manufacturer or take it to an audio or electronics store to get help.
Advice and warnings
You can buy a voltmeter at a hardware store, electronic device store or at several stores that sell electronic products and computers, as well as many online stores.
Replacing the screen cable might not be a permanent solution. It is likely that the monitor has an internal problem that wears out the power cables. If the new power cable dies soon after starting to use it, you must search for professional technicians to avoid further damage of the internal components.
Never use a different kind of cable than the one that originally came with your flat screen. You could damage the internal components of the monitor. In some cases, the wrong cable might now have enough energy to make the monitor work.
Do not open the monitor to repair its components. Flat screens should not be opened by a regular user. There is a risk of electric shock, and you could easily break the monitor or make the professional repair service much more expensive.
If you are looking for a computer repair center in Houston or Spring, TX, call 911-computer.com. We offer affordable computer repair services, provided by professionals in the field. Explain your problem on the phone and one of our technicians will visit you at home to help you fix your desktop or laptop. Contact us!