It is very important to care of your computer, because it is always better to be safe than sorry. It will also ensure you do not have many visits to the technician, and as a bonus, it keeps your computer speedy. The 911-computer.com team, specialists in maintenance and repair of computers in Houston, TX, we offer the following tips to keep your laptop running smoothly:
1. Do not let liquids near the computer. It is tempting to drink coffee while you work, study, etc. However, spilled liquids can cause a short circuit to destroy parts of your computer.
2. An installed antivirus software may help. Even if you know what you download, your downloads may contain a viruses that can carry a circuit error in system hardware or software.
3. Do not leave food near your computer. Do NOT eat at your computer as crumbs falling may damage the circuits, plus they look dirty and staining the computer.
4. Try to keep your hands clean when you use your laptop. Clean hands use the touchpad easier and if you remain clean then it reduces the wear of the protective layer on your laptop.
5. Protect the LCD monitor. When you turn off your laptop make sure that no small objects can scratch the screen. When you close it, grab the center because otherwise one side may become unbalanced and over time it gets bent.
6. Hold and lift the equipment by the base not the screen. By grabbing the screen, you can damage the hinge that attaches the screen to the base. The display can also be easily scratched or damaged by direct pressure.
7. Do not pull the power cord out of the outlet. If you pull the cable from the power supply instead of removing it with your hand the plug you can break. Also, if you have the outlet near your feet, avoid constantly tripping over the cord.
8. Avoid your cord getting caught in the wheels of your chair. Paste the cord to your desktop with tape or a special cable protector for computers that can be removed easily when you finish using your computer. Always try to keep most of the cable off the floor.
9. Connect the devices where they belong. Always look for the symbol on your laptop before inserting a device to avoid destroying parts of the computer (or the connecting device).
10. Handle any drive you remove from the computer with care. The CD you take away can be easily crushed if you are careless so put them in a safe place.
11. Enter all units into the proper slots carefully and at the right angles. If you screw together an outlet incorrectly, or even or angle them incorrectly (like upside down) it can jam.
12. Check if the labels are attached firmly before inserting media into your laptop. Media like CD, DVD or floppy disks should not have loose parts that could get stuck inside your computer.
13. Do not expose your laptop to sudden changes in temperature. When you quickly take your computer from cold to hot places do not use it right away. Instead, first leave the computer alone and let it adjust to the environment so as not to damage your laptop.
14. Do not leave your laptop in a car. Not only are cars vulnerable to temperature change but they are also vulnerable to theft.
15. Clean your unit annually to remove internal dust. You can take it a professional if you don’t feel comfortable. When dust is accumulated, the system does not cool properly. Heat can destroy the motherboard.
16. Avoid placing heavy materials on the computer. This may push the LCD screen from the keyboard and eventually the CD-ROM can also be crushed or broken. Use protector or sleeve for your equipment. Make sure it’s large enough to avoid scratches.
17. Try to get a bag for your equipment. Many damages occur because laptops are dropped or bumped. A bag greatly reduces the risk of damage.
18. Use and store in ventilated place. When you use your laptop used in poorly ventilated areas it can overheat.
19. Use an old toothbrush to clean the fan area. If the airflow is plugged then it becomes less effective and your machine can overheat.
20. Try to have your computer on a clean flat surface. This prevents damage. This step can be difficult especially if you’re going out with your laptop, but if there is a flat surface available to put your laptop do it!
21. Do not use your computer in bed. Frequent use of your computer in bed messes with your fans causes a lot of issues with dust.
If you forget any of these tips or haven’t followed them and find yourself with an unusable laptop, please do not hesitate to contact the team 911-computer.com. Call us and one of our technical specialists in laptop repair services will visit you in your home.